Sky Captain .. and the world of tomorrow



It's been a a week or so since I last wrote, but I was off, enjoying my Spring Break. Anyhow, I'm back to work now, and I wanted to talk about a movie I've seen a few times that still surprises me doesn't have more of a following. Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow. This movie was released in 2004 and the story behind the film is almost as interesting as the movie itself.

A first time film maker by the name of Kerry Conran made a six minute short using his Mac and a blue screen. According to IMDB the process took him nearly four years complete what was essentially the opening six minutes of the film. He then showed the film to numerous people before a big time Hollywood producer saw it and got involved helping to finance the movie as well as get A-List stars like Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie to star.

The movie draws very heavily from old black and white movies, 50's sci-fi comic books and even experimental Post modernism flicks like Metropolis. It's visually stunning, mixing cg backgrounds and live action actors together. I guess this is why I love this movie so much is because in some ways it draws a lot on some of the same influences I do. Comics, sci-fiction and old movies.

Anyhow, as far as 3D movies goes, I feel this movie is often over looked. Not only in terms of story but also in terms of the 3D animation. If you don't believe me I challenge you to see for your self.

Comments