Organizing / Workflow




It's funny but the older I get and the more I learn about animation, the more I see that success has a lot to do with establishing and sticking to a consistent and well thought out work flow. Luckily with Animation the workflow that most animators use was invented and refined many years ago. Right now I'm 2/3 of the way through Advanced Body Mechanics and I'm still learning the proper work flow, but it really makes a complicated process much smoother.

Anyhow, I've just been thinking about that a lot because this week I'm working on blocking out my next animation. I'm really excited about it, because it's going to be fun to work on and because it's a little more complex than my last two. But Unlike the previous assignments I've done, I have a whole extra week to work on it.

Currently I'm working as a Multimedia developer and for the past year or so I've been using After Effects for 90% of my work. I really love AE, but like Maya it's pretty overwhelming at times and I think requires a similar sort of approach to the work. If only it were that easy. Basically this comes down to plan, plan some more, then do some more planning. But in my world the planning usually comes later in the process and always too late.

Okay, just some random thoughts as I sit here on a rainy afternoon and think about all the stuff I'm been learning.

Comments